Pages

London Short Film Festival

Sunday 12 January 2014


Yesterday I headed down to the Curzon in Soho to watch a selection of short films as part of the London Short Film Festival. 


I've never attended this particular festival before but I've got more into short films as I worked on developing my own. The Curzon were showing a selection called Fucked Up Love. Interesting! 


I was hugely impressed! The programme comes with a warning, saying the films tackle break-ups, hateful lovers, one night stands and unbridled lust so I was aware it wasn't about to be some candy sweet romance tales, but still some of them were a shock to the system. 'The Birthday Gift' was a slick thriller dealing with the fallout of an affair, 'Large Double Room in Zone 2' showed a funny and inventive look at modern infidelity and a friend of mine even had a film in the programme. 'Pretty Bitch' produced by my friend and 'Victim' co-star Natasha Sparkes and directed by Rebecca Coley was a twisted tale of revenge when love goes wrong. My favourites were 'Things He Never Said' a hilarious comedy starring Ruth Negga and 'Hymns to Pan' by students of the National Film and TV School, a beautifully shot, twisted very modern love story.


The film festival is on until the 19th January with selections like 'Funny Shit', 'Teenage Girls Go Crazy' and 'Celluloid Traces', at a number of different of independent cinemas across London, like the Ritzy, the Curzon, Hackney Picturehouse, The Rio and Riverside Studios so Shanika Says, treat yourself to a day of alternative film fun. Definitely perked up my boring Saturday afternoon I'll tell ya. 


1 comment:

  1. I need to go to this! I never knew Natasha and Rebecca had a short showing here! x

    ReplyDelete